2016: more than just champagne wishes

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Now that all the glitz and glamour has worn off of the new year, my mind has finally settled and I can think more clearly on what I want to get out of 2016. I didn't exactly make resolutions; mainly, I have set mini goals that I want to attain as I pace myself throughout this year and the years to come.

To begin with, I really, really need to get back on track with exercising and eating better. I let my first year of teaching drive my anxiety to newer, crazier lengths and I resorted to thinking that I didn't have time for anything else other than work, work work. This isn't, and should never be, the case. You can make time for a quick workout and cooking healthy meals. It all depends on time management and how badly you want to reach your goals.

Speaking of which.... Anxiety. Must. Be. Overcome. Easier said than done when you feel literally every emotion there can possibly be every single day, but as I mentioned above, I need to kick its ass to the curb when my physical and mental well-being is on the line. I don't think I'll be an anxiety-ridden gal come December 31, 2016, but I intend on trying out things like meditation and yoga when I feel like the world is about to end. 

Regarding my relationships and inner being... I need to love better, beginning with myself. I need to love myself more, especially in times when I feel like I could have done this or that better. I'm very tough on myself and tend to be a perfectionist, so continuing to be flexible when things don't go as planned out needs to be a top priority. 

Loving better also requires forgiveness, so besides forgiving myself when I'm not the best, I really need to learn how to let things go when people hurt me--especially if it was unintentionally done. I'm not the best at holding grudges for too long, but I'm also not the best at letting my anger simmer down before I say words I ultimately regret saying 10 minutes later. Pain really does demand to be felt (thanks for that, John Green), and I let that little fucker stay as long as it wants to sometimes so that I can process it on my own and zone out with music or writing. But when it leads to anger, that's just an invitation for more heartache that I blindly accept. So, forgive, Dulce. Forgive, forgive, forgive.

Lastly, I want to keep working at the following so that this heavy heart of mine can feel just a little bit lighter:

Face the things I fear and trust that everything will be all right in the end.
Do whatever I need in order to be happy and not give a fuck about what other people might think.
Cut off anything and anyone that is a constant struggle in my life.
Let my family and friends know how much I appreciate having their love and support.
Boldly, colorfully, and fearlessly live and enjoy my life and the gifts I've received from the Universe. To cultivate a prosperous life is to be grateful with the life that you have, and I intend on loving every beautiful, painful, hilarious, and incredible second of it.

Cheers to 2016. May you live and love without fear.

Post a Comment