Random Sunday musings

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Currently it's five degrees outside with a windchill in the negatives. Good ol' Chicago winter! I'm not exactly upset though. After last year's polar vortex, I feel like Chicagoans are some tough motherfuckers and can put up with a lot more than we realize.

....... Still,


Oh well! 

After a great date night yesterday with Jamie, his parents and his grandparents at Sono Wood Fired (it's no Angelo's but damn, I am in LOVE with their pappardelle pasta!), I have been doing my favorite thing to do on the weekends: nothing! I mean, I'm getting some much-needed laundry done right now, but that's already part of my chill Sunday routine...

Anyway, when I'm warm and cozy on a day like today, I can't help but have a bunch of random thoughts floating around that I should probably write out so that I can clear my mind. 

To begin with, I'm obsessed with the concept of the Jedi order and their mission to maintain peace and justice (how is George Lucas not a Libra??). To be able to trust in your feelings but use caution to not let them betray you, and use a zen-like Force to battle the darkness of others is basically like being an empath with super powers. In Lucas' galaxy, I would have definitely been a Jedi--but would probably have faced Anakin's constant temptations of giving into anger. Oops.

But in daydreaming of all that, I've noticed how fascinating the concept of being a Jedi was once Disney took over the Star Wars franchise and created the first female Jedi protagonist. I know feminist and female Star Wars fans were probably like, It was about damn time, but it really does highlight how much box office hits like these make bank when their audience grows to include women. I think I read last year how the inclusion of more female superheroes has done nothing but improve ratings and financial matters for Marvel.

Because when we have characters like Rey, Black Widow, or Jessica Jones, society can finally see on-screen what we've known for centuries: women are badass. We create and carry life, yes, but that's not the only thing that we're here for. We can just as easily kick ass in our daily life, whether or not we're wearing superhero costumes; we have full time jobs while also juggling school, raising a family, and maintaining other hobbies to keep us sane. Stay-at-home moms are just as important as managers, CEOs, artists, musicians, teachers, lawyers, doctors, nursers, waitresses, etc. Seeing more and more women as protagonists in action films and TV shows is but one step towards acceptance of all that women do and deserve, no matter our assigned gender at birth or our socially constructed "race."

Which brings me to my third thought: I love being a woman. Despite all of the craziness I go through once a month, I'm truly blessed to be able to support and empower my girlfriends and anyone else who just needs to be heard or a shoulder to cry on. We bond like we were born to do it, share secrets like they're ancient spells, and love with a strength that can't be measured. And goddamn, can we fight for our beliefs. We may have come a long way from not having basic civil rights, but it's still a pretty tough time to be a woman in society today. Shit, some countries still don't extend those basic rights to their women. So let me just reiterate how blessed I am to have the freedoms I have today.

Above all, as a living and growing human being, I know that everything in the universe has made me what I am today. Within my soul, I feel my intuitions, emotions, dreams, hopes and memories constantly interweaving and defining me. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm meant to do in this life, but I know that my deep affinity for enjoying it can't steer me wrong. As a child, I always ached to be a brilliant little witch like Hermione Granger, and even as an adult I wish I could be a fierce Jedi like Rey and harness the Living Force around us for good. But to be able to create an identity from my past and present and live a life that lets me help others in my own ways is already magic in itself.

Post a Comment